Thursday, October 27, 2011

CUT!

"With great power comes great responsibility." - Ben Parker, Spider Man #1

If you know me personally, then you're probably friends with me on Facebook.  If you are, then you've probably noticed that I really don't say much on there.  I play a few games, and the people who play on my team (crew, whatever) are a big percentage of my friends list also.  I post the occasional check-in from work, with a snarky comment, or from my weekly Tuesday night trip to Super Wal-Mart so I don't have to go food shopping on my rest days.  This is also usually accompanied by something like "Cover me.  I'm goin' in!"  Other than that, I'm pretty quiet unless I see something online I want to share, or somebody else shares something interesting.  There are three VERY good reasons for this.
First, I'm not famous by any stretch of the imagination (the Greatest Writer you've NEVER heard of).  And even if I was, I don't think I'm that important that I need to keep people updated to my comings and goings.  I think it's annoying when I read in the paper or online about what restaurant George Clooney or Derek Jeter ate at last night, and I wouldn't want to subject people to a constant stream of that from me.  My ego isn't THAT big.
Second, I'm basically a simple person.  I wake up.  I go to work.  I do my job.  I come home.  I go on Facebook for a while.  I write.  I go to bed.  Wash, rinse, repeat.  My life is actually pretty boring.  Or at the very least, not that much different from anyone else's.  And after you've read about it once, I'm sure that's enough for you.  Pretty much like real life, I only speak up when I have something to say.
Last, and probably most important, I read what some other people put up, and to be honest, it's kind of scary sometimes.  One person in particular (no names) posted about... well... long story short, he shaved a veeeery sensitive part of his body, and felt it necessary to share with all of his friends that he was bleeding.  Now any normal person would look at something like this and either a) do a double-take and ask "did I really read this?" or b) laugh their ass off.  This particular guy's friend list was split about 60-40 to the laughing side.  Through a very strange (to say the least) Facebook "conversation", it came to light that this guy shaved himself with a straight razor (obviously he missed the Billy Connolly concert where he said you have to be kind to yourself), and had himself cut badly enough that he had to go to the E.R.  Six stitches later, he was back on Facebook again taking abuse from his pals (I guess somebody stitching that particular part of his body wasn't traumatic enough?).
I like to share sometimes, but I wouldn’t have the balls (no pun intended) to share that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment